Hanging Heaton Golf Club was founded in 1922 when a group of seven golf enthusiasts started work on a strip of land above Commonside, Hanging Heaton. They started levelling greens and tees which had to be fenced of to stop farm animals straying onto them, today that strip of land which sits above Batley is still there but has now returned to its former state, now used by walker’s bike and horse riders alike some of the old greens and tees are still visible, this area was known locally as Pump Fields or Tewit land hence the bird which is now part of the club logo the original club house was on Kirkgate and golfers in those days had to walk across the road to enjoy their golf which cost them an annual subscription of £1 for men and 10/- (50p) for ladies.
In 1928 the club moved to its present site and commenced the development of the course year by year improvements were made to the lay out as more land was acquired, up to the time when war broke out in 1939 which halted progress for the duration. In those days the club house was of a wooden construction and was built adjacent to some cattle sheds this saw service until 1964 when the existing building was constructed the years since have seen continuous development with frequent refurbishments the latest undertaken in 2003.
During World War 2 parts of the course were requisitioned by the War Office for Anti Aircraft Artillery purposes as defence against bombing raids on Leeds situated on the plateau above Caulms Wood it position was considered strategic.
Large Engineering works such as Yorkshire Copper and the Hunslet Engine Company were the targets of the German Air force. The Luftwaffe would use Ossett Church and Ossett water tower as land marks to guide them in and our golf course was right in the way. It saw action many times and was attacked on more than one occasion by the Luftwaffe of which it shot down several of their number however on one occasion it mistakenly shot down an RAF Spitfire. Today there are several reminders that remain the Bomb Shelter by the 7th Green and in dry summers you can see the outline of the concrete track that was used to service one of the installations which was situated on the 2nd Green. The course was returned to the club in 1945 with £2000 compensation which went towards the cost of reinstating the course to its former glory the turf which had been painstakingly removed by members in 1939 was carefully put back.
In 1948 Open Champion Fred Daly visited and presented the Captains day prizes to winners whilst enlightening members on his many golfing exploits that had taken place that year
The club is wholly owned by the members and is run by the committee elected every March at the AGM. Every penny is put back into the club either in course or club development. In 1958 the club bought the freehold to the course which was a shrewd investment and guaranteed the clubs independence.
The club is rightly proud of its origins from humble beginnings, with those magnificent seven founder members to the present day. It plays its full part as a member of the English Golf Union, The Yorkshire Union of Golf Clubs, The Halifax and Huddersfield Union of Golf Clubs. In 1966 HHGC was one of the founder members of the Heavy Woollen League.
The club house which is exceptionally well appointed is an ideal venue for social and business functions. With our in house Catering Manager who will be happy to advise on menus to suit all occasions. In addition we have a very well stocked bar including cask and keg beers, draught and bottled lagers, a large range of wines, and spirits including some fine single malt whiskeys tended to by our professional Bar Steward.
On the golf side the club offers the services of our resident PGA Golf professional with golf lessons and a well equipped shop selling the latest golf equipment.
Hanging Heaton Golf Club is considered one of the friendliest clubs in the area with sections that cater for all golfing abilities, very good practice facilities and an active social atmosphere.
New members and guests are most welcome and there are various membership packages available throughout the year.
A full house appreciated the James O'Hara Blues Band o...
Richard Croft presenting David Lodge with the Lifetime ...
Gillian Littlewood, the incoming President presenting a...
New update... Black Layer...