Rabbits History

The idea of forming a Rabbits Golf Association was first raised by a Mr Dibb from Wetherby GC. (A Rabbit being a golfer of 16 handicap and above). A meeting was convened by the captain of Knaresborough GC in October 1937. At that inaugural meeting were representatives from Knaresborough, Oakdale, Pannal, Wetherby, Horsforth and Low Laithes Golf Clubs.

In 1938 the "West Riding Rabbit Golf Association" was formed.

In 1939 arrangements were made to increase the number of clubs and to have an anual competition. This was called the Thornton trophy which is still played for today. It was donated by a Mr Thornton from Wetherby GC, who was then asked to be the first president.

After the war was over in March 1946 a meeting was held at the Victoria Hotel in Leeds to revive the association. The membership was then 15 clubs.

In 1948 the Bradford area was formed and by 1954 there were 5 areas. At the AGM of 1958 it was agreed to change thec name to"The Yorkshire Rabbit Golf Association" (YRGA). Today there are 6 areas, Leeds, Bradford, Harrogate, Halifax & Huddersfield, Wakefield and Flamborough. Which is 103 clubs in total.

The Rabbits A.G.M. & Presentation Evening will be held on Weds 1st November 2017.

rsz_8.jpg

 Pictured above are David Whitington & Martin Howe receiving their Jack Roberts Trophy award for 2017.

no1.jpg

Pictured above are Mick Ingham & Kevin Swift receiving their Thornton Trophy award for 2016.


Latest News

Mixed Open - Watkinson Trophy 09.09.2019

Mixed Open - Watkinson Trophy

Congratulations to Debbie Spendler and Joe Ratcliffe on…

Ogden Cup Win for Scot Minto 21.06.2019

Ogden Cup Win for Scot Minto

Congratulations to Scot Minto on winning the 2019 Ogden…

9-Hole Clubs Championship Success 21.06.2019

9-Hole Clubs Championship Success

Team and Individual Success at Elland in the Union 9-Ho…